Pejavara, is a small village in Mangalore taluk of Dakshina Kannada district. The primary matha of Pejavara matha, one among Udupi's eight matha is located here. Sri Vittala, given by Madhvacharya is the throne God here. Sri Adhokshajatheertha was Madhvacharya's disciple. Since the period of Sri vijayadhvajatheertha, Vibheeshana kararchita ramadeva has been worshiped along with lord Vittala. Aja Vittala and lord Rama are retained as the Throne God. According to the tradition, among the disciples of Sri madhvacharya from eight matha when Sri hrushikeshatheertha (Palimar Math) stands first, Sri adhokshajatheertha (Pejavara Math) remains the last.
The sixth disciple as per tradition, Sri Vijaya theertha is the mahathapasvi who wrote the great interpretation for bhagavatha. He had the qualities of shukumuni. Apart from Udupi, there are branches in Pejavara, kanvatheertha too. Kaniyuru Matha is the dvandva matha for Pejavara Matha. The system of dvandva matha of Pejavara matha was introduced in kaniyoor matha too by Acharya Madhva. The Paryaya which starts from Palimar Matha ends with paryaya of ashtaka Pejavara Matha. Pejavara Matha has had 34 yathi's until today.
Till now 30 rounds of ashtaka paryaya has been conducted. Currently 31st Ashtaka Paryaya is being carried on. It shall end with Pejavara matha paryaya in 2016 and begin with 32nd Palimaru matha paryaya.
Pejavara Matha Paryayas :
When Srisode Vadiraja Swami increased the period of paryaya from two months to two years , first paryaya started with palimaru matha in ashtaka 1522. First paryaya of pejawar matha was held in 1536 and then took place in 1552, 1568, 1584, 1600, 1616, 1632, 1648, 1664, 1680, 1696, 1712, 1728, 1744, 1760, 1776, 1792, 1808, 1824, 1840, 1856, 1872, 1888, 1904, 1920, 1936 1952, 1968, 1984, 2000 . The next paryaya is to be documented in 2016. Sri Sri Vishveshatirtha successfully carried out first paryaya in 1952 and then completed fourth paryaya in the order 1952, 1968, 1984, and in 2000 . 2016 paryaya would be the fifth paryaya to be documented.
The moola vrindavana of four yati's are present in udupi.
Achievements and Institutions run by Sri Matha: -
Organisations run by Shre Matha under the guidence Shri Shri Vishveshatirtha Sripadangalavar:
- Education institutions :- Bangalore, Mysore, Chikmagalur, Chitradurga, Hubli, Dharwad, Belgaum, Gulbarga, Raichur, Bagalkot, Vijayapura, Gangavathi, Siddhapura, Udupi, Ramakunja, Ernakulam, Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Pandharapur, Delhi
- Hospitals :- Shri Krishna sevasrama, Bangalore. Shri Krishna free clinic in Udupi. Ashwini Hospital, Madikeri.
- Orphanages :- Harivittala Old Age Home Karjige. Krishnasevadhama, Balaniketana kukkikatte, Udupi. Pitrashale, Velappan Chawadi, Chennai.
- Shri Krishna temples, Monasteries, Chatra's :- Sri Raghavendra Matha, Bengaluru. Krishnamandira, City Market, Bengaluru. Shri Krishna Temple, Krishnadhama, Saraswathipuram Mysore. Raghavendra Matha, Jayalakshmipura Mysore. Raghavendra Matha, Ravindranagara Hassan. Krishnamandira Gulbarga. Ramadhama Gulbarga. Krishnamandira Bellary. Satyanarayan Temple Gangavathi. Krishnadhama Udupi. Adhokshaja Temple, Udupi. Sri Raghavendra Matha, Karkala. Shri Krishna Raghavendra Matha, Tyagarajanagara, Chennai. Udupi Rameshwar Chatra. Kuriyuru Durga Temple, Tamil Nadu. Pranadeva Temple, Kumbakonam, Erodu Chatra Tamilnadu, Erodu Anandatirtha Temple, Tamilnadu. Kavugoli Matha Shri Vishnumurthi Temple, Kerala. Raghavendra Matha Tripunatra, Ernakulam. Udupi Matha, Tirupati. Sri Raghavendra Sevasamiti, Bhubaneswar, Orissa. Madhvabhavana, Pejavara Matha, Santacruz, Mumbai. Anantha matha Badari. Haridhvara Madhvashrama. Kashi Madhvamandira. Brindavana Matha. Raghavendra Swamy Matha, Walter Road, Vishakapatnam. Shri Krishna Temple, Tumkuru, Shri Krishna Dhama, Delhi. Etc.
- Marriage Halls : - Govinda Kalyanamantapa, Udupi. Nandagokula Kalyanamantapa, Girinagar Bangalore. Shri Krishna Kalyanamantapa, Davanagere. Shri Krishna Kalyanamantapa Kadri, Mangalore.
- Goshala's :- Kodavuru Nandagokula Goshale by Shri Krishna Gorakshana Trust in Udupi. Govardhanagiri Goshale by Govardhanagiri Trust near nilavara, Udupi.
- Gurukul :- Sri Purnaprajna Vidyapeeth, and Purnaprajna Research Temple, Bangalore. Vasudeva Gurukul, Pajaka, Udupi. Prahlad Monastery, Udupi.